St Teath Parish Council
Welcome to the St Teath Parish Council Website
Our website aims to bring everything great about St Teath, the Council and events in the village to you. If there are any suggestions, comments or information you either want to add or would like please use the contact us, either using the form or the Contact page.
A little bit about St Teath & Delabole
St Teath Parish lies between the Atlantic Ocean and Bodmin Moor (west of the A39 between Camelford and Wadebridge) and covers an area of almost 6000 acres. The St Teath Parish has two wards, St Teath and Delabole. Delabole is the largest conurbation with a population of around 1800. The Parish was in the Camelford Registration District until 1974, since when it has been in the Bodmin Registration District. The Parish is located in The Anglican Diocese of Truro and is attached to the deanery of Trigg Minor and Bodmin in the Archdeaconry of Bodmin.
Employment has been in agriculture, some silver-lead mining and slate quarrying (the major employer). Treburgett was the main mine, at one time a large employer in the area. For further detailed information see the St. Teath village website.
The world famous Delabole Slate Quarry has continued to produce top quality slate for more than 6oo years. At the end of the 19th century approximately one thousand men and boys were employed in quarrying, splitting, dressing and shipping slate. The Old Delabole Slate Company was formed in 1841 when the five quarries that existed within the vicinity of the present pit formed themselves into a single controlled unit. It became the present limited liability company in 1898.
The Parish Church is dedicated to St.Tetha and dates from about 1380. A Norman church, built about 1100, previously stood on the site and remains of this include the lower stage of the tower and the old font on the floor inside the North Door. A large Celtic cross stands in the cemetery and the fact that the church land is in the shape of a rough circle indicates that there was probably some kind of place of worship here in Celtic times.
St. Tetha’s Church served the whole parish until the Church of Saint John the Evangelist was built at Delabole in 1879. The first baptism recorded there was on 7th August 1881. It has a unique slate altar built from Delabole slate.
Photos and details of the history of St. Teath Methodist Church and Cemetery, including photos of memorial inscriptions, can be seen on the St. Teath Village Website.